Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pumpkin and Coconut Curry Soup

1 TB Ghee
1 Med Yellow Onion
3" Ginger, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 slice of jalapeño
1/2 stalk of celery, upper, with leaves, sliced
4 cups chicken stock, low sodium
1/2 cup water
8 oz coconut milk
heap of pumpkin, cubed*
1/2 TB black pepper
1 TB GOOD yellow curry powder**
Pinch of saffrons

*I used an Australian Pumpkin, phenomenally sweet and creamy, baked for about an hour. I like the part next to the skin best so I wasn't too careful in removing the skin. Seriously-- I don't know how much pumpkin I used-- I have pumpkin all over my kitchen and in every container I own. I mean there are so many pumpkin cubes that I don't know what to do. Anyway, I'd say... oh... 4 ""cups""? Like a 4 cup pyrex would've been nicely mounded but loosely filled. How about you decide? Geez, you're so needy.
**I like Spicely.

Get out your stock pot. In there, saute the garlic, onion, jalapeño and ginger in ghee or coconut oil until and stir for a moment. Add the celery and cook until onion is translucent. There is probably a good layer of brown on the bottom of the pot-- get ready. Deglaze the pot with about a cup of the chicken stock, then scrape around like mad with something wooden or good. Now-- you add that pumpkin in there buddy, and then the coconut milk. Add the rest of the spices and let this simmer for... I don't know, a while. Thats where it is now-- I'll let you know what adjustments to make when its done! I may blend part of it and add chives and cilantro at the end-- but this broth is delicious!

-El

No comments: